18 August 2013

Project Life | June & July | month by month

Oh, Project Life. I fell in love with this method of journaling/scrapbooking three years ago, and have tried so desperately to complete an entire year. But somehow, things just get busy, and I fail to follow through with photographing and assembling 52 weeks of documentation. So, my brilliant husband suggested I take it slow and try doing month by month rather than week by week.

So, I've switched things up. Since we bought our first house in June, I've decided to start my Project Life year in June. This way, I'll be starting a new year of documentation on the anniversary of when we  bought our house. It's a little different from the traditional method, but I like it that way.

Here are some benefits to doing Project Life month by month:

1. You get to spend more time living your life --- which is important to me as I work, run a side business, and like to spend my free time with my husband and friends.
2. You have the option of putting together additional spreads if it suits you
3. Crafting the pages ends up being fun, rather than an overwhelming stress to get. it. done.
4. There's less of a threat of having blank pages if you just don't feel like picking up your camera for a week.

So with that, I give you months June and July:

Project life | First Time Homeowners | month by month | scrapbooking | text overlay | moving | The Nest Atlanta


The little pocket envelope on the right side will hold a detailed explanation of why we chose to buy a house in the first place. We faced a lot of unknowns within the  last 10 or so months that really had us wondering if we'd still be in Georgia by Christmas 2013. God really moved within our little family and made the impossible a reality. He provided us with a community of supportive friends, a house to call our own, job security, and a clear answer for Matt as to where he should be these next 5 years: pursuing a PhD in Physics.

Project life | First Time Homeowners | month by month | scrapbooking | text overlay | moving | The Nest Atlanta
I also wanted to record the date we closed on the house, our address (blurred out!), and how many rooms, bathrooms, ect. I think it's fun to look back on little details like that when your life has changed. It'll be interesting to see if we stay in this house past 5 years, or if it will become a distant memory.


Project life | First Time Homeowners | month by month | scrapbooking | text overlay | moving | The Nest Atlanta

July is a great example as to why I decided to do month-by-month instead of week-by-week. A lot happened during July, including our THREE YEAR WEDDING ANNIVERSARY. Yeah, and you know what? I didn't photograph any part of it. I was busy celebrating with Matt, busy loving him, and investing in him, and I CHOSE not to fret over whether or not I was going to get a photo. We also didn't do too much in the form of celebrating as the new house was basically our biggest gift to each other. We were going to celebrate with a photo session of us, but we had to postpone due to weather. 

The point is, I'm ok with not taking a ton of personal photos in July. I know that if I was moving forward on the week-by-week way of doing Project Life, I would have missed out on some key moments, or trying to plan those moments out to guarantee they'd be photo-worthy. 

Project life | First Time Homeowners | month by month | scrapbooking | text overlay | moving | East Atlanta Village Farmers Market
I understand that not everyone approaches the week-by-week Project Life this way; this is just how I was approaching the week-by-week process. Switching to month-by-month has really allowed me to take advantage of Project Life the way I think it was intended. Now, I can fulfill my need to create without it consuming or stressing me out in a huge race to get caught up. 

Project life | First Time Homeowners | month by month | scrapbooking | text overlay | moving | East Atlanta Village Farmers Market

Project life | First Time Homeowners | month by month | scrapbooking | text overlay | moving | East Atlanta Village Farmers Market

In case you'd like to start Project Life for yourself, you can read about it here
For photo editing, I use photoshop and print from my home printer. 
For Supplies, I use whatever random scraps of pretty paper and notions I have. 

I also use (click to view!):
  




Linking up with Project Life Tuesdays at The Mom Creative!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new home!It looks lovely. Your spreads are beautiful. I think it's great that you figured out a method that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Hopefully, if I can make it through the year doing month-by-month, EVENTUALLY, I can manage weekly documentation! :)

      Delete
  2. I love your PL just as much as you loved mine! I love adding the dog into it too :)

    ReplyDelete

Say Hello!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips