27 March 2012

Garden Updates: New Additions

Lots has changed in the balcony garden. I planted some freesia bulbs and lettuce seeds, two tomato plants died, two survived, and my potatoes are growing about an inch a day. It's kind of ridiculous. One strawberry plant didn't make it either. The other's still going and is quite beautiful!


Last weekend, Matt's parents stayed with us for a night while they were driving from Pennsylvania to Florida. They were visiting Matt's grandparents in Pennsylvania who happen to have a wonderful piece of land where they grow vegetables and various other plants.


They gave me a few to take after like greek oregano, garlic chives and some peach and pear blossom cuttings. Apparently, all I have to do is keep the branches in water and they'll grow roots. You know what that means, right? Peach and Pear trees!!! I'm beyond excited!






4 comments:

  1. I had no idea it was so easy to make a start with fruit trees, do you know how long it takes before they start bearing fruit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure. I need to ask Matt's grandparents for more info. I think it's a slow process, but not as slow as starting from seed. :) I'm excited to see if this works. I bought some rooting powder that's supposed to help stimulate root growth. I haven't used it yet because I want to make sure it's ok for this type of plant first. I'll definitely post any updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so, so sorry to hear about Emma. There is nothing like losing a pet. It is such a deep sadness and I'm really sorry you had to go through that so prematurely. Rest assured that you and Matt gave her the most wonderful year she could have!

    Your garden is getting bigger and bigger. I can't wait to see what you add on next and I hope your plants continue to be successes! It's such a joy to watch wildlife grow! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roxanne. We miss her dearly. We decided to get a new puppy. While we still wish we could have Emma back with us, this new little bundle of energy is bringing joy back into our home again. :)

      I'll post updates soon. Just started to see some lettuce sprout yesterday :)

      Delete

Say Hello!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips