06 February 2012

Project Life: The beginning

Some of you know I've been documenting each week of the new year. I love all the year-long photo projects, but it took me a while to find a system that works for my busy schedule. That's where Project Life came in. I love the easy layouts that allow me to slip photos and memorabilia in. I've chosen, with this album, to document each week of the year. Daunting, I know, but I can't wait to see it all finished. :)

Here's a look at the album. I'm using a 12x12 three-ring scrapbook:


I love the red detail on the spine. The plain cardboard front and back is a little dull, but I think it will look nice decorated in pretty paper or photos. So far, I haven't found too many examples of how people have decorated the front of their Project Life albums, but I definitely hope to!

Here's the inside cover. 

The first week of January. 

I'm using Becky Higgins' Photo Pocket Pages, Design A. It looks as though they're out of stock. Her website says there will be more this month. :)

I love that this is an assemble-on-your-own-time project. As long as I'm documenting my weeks by taking photos and saving little odds and ends, I can work on the album whenever I want. As you can see, I still have one thing to add to the above layout. There's a Hello Kitty sticky note place holder to let me know what I need to put there.


While I've documented every week of the new year so far, my only complete spread is the first week of February -- my birthday week! I've been participating in a February photo challenge that's definitely contributing to my Project Life content. In fact, the photo of my hands displaying "25" was for the February 3rd theme: hands. You can see more of my photos for the challenge on Home Says Hello's Facebook Page. 

Our first week of February was quite busy. I entered a photography contest at school, took my first photograph with a view camera, visited a monastery, ate lunch at a fun, new cafe (which used to be Norcross' first post office) and saw a movie.  Although not pictured above, we also went out for Sushi, took Emma to the dog park, and I ate birthday cake for breakfast. Twice.

The only downside to this project is that it's hard to come up with material if you don't have children. There are so many beautiful examples online of albums with tons of content. This mostly comes from mothers taking lots of photos of their children learning, playing, and growing. They also have a lot of things their children bring home from school in the album. 

However, as a newlywed, I'm determined to fill this album up with loads of interesting things. If this year is a success, I plan on doing an album of our first year of marriage too. If Matt and I have children, I want them to be able to see how we were before they came, to get to know their parents as people...and not just as mom and dad. 


To see more great ideas, check out this blog featuring a Project Life link up. You'll be able to see a lot of examples from other bloggers. :)


17 comments:

  1. Your layouts look great. You will love looking back on them.

    I do have a child but I am making a conscious effort to not make PL all about her. In the next few weeks I am going to do a post about doing some themed weeks. Places we go, people we see, Technology/appliances in our lives (that might be interesting in the future), our meals/drinks etc, what we are reading/watching etc - you get the drift. I think your pages have a lovely subtle and grown up look that I couldn't do with my kiddo photos.

    Keep going!! :)

    sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon!

      Your words are so encouraging. :) I love the technology idea. It's so strange to think that what we use today will probably end up looking ancient twenty years down the road.

      Delete
  2. I think it is awesome you are doing this. I would love to have an album like this of me before kids and I wish I had one of my mom before she had me. What a treasure this will be for many different reasons. It looks fantastic, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margie. :) Do you have plans to put one together of your life before motherhood?

      I agree, I think this will be really fun to show my future children one day. :)

      Delete
  3. Don't let lack of "activity" deter you. I have 4 kiddos, but if you have them later on, you'll wonder what you did before them. This is a great reminder of that and will be memories of a sweet time. It looks great and I know you'll have enough to fill it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy, so true! I'm sure I will have enough stuff --- I just love all the cute stuff people with kids get to put in their PL albums. It looks like a lot of fun! :)

      Delete
  4. Your PL is beautiful! So glad I found your blog! Hugs!P.S. I just celebrated a birthday, too! ;)

    Kristina
    www.one-happy-mama.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous pages - I love the sophisticated colour palette you've got going on in the first week of January spread.

    Like Sharon, I have one daughter, but at 14 she's not exactly a littl'un with cute stories anymore. And I want PL to be the story of our lives, not just her life. I find myself doing quite a few sections on me, what I get up to and what I'm all about.

    My daughter loves to look back at photo albums of me before I had her, and always asks what I was like and what life was like before her, so I wish I had a PL type album of that time to share with her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules, thank you so much! I love that your daughter likes to look at your albums from before she was born. I really hope I can share when/if I have children of my own. Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete
  6. I do love the spine on your album. Really fun and bright!
    Love the great start you have on your album.
    I love the idea of doing an album from you first year of marriage... before kids. It'll be a good reminder later of what life USED to be like and will be again one day when the kids are out of the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pages are lovely! Oh how I wish PL had been available when I was a newlywed. I don't have a whole lot documented about that time. What a treasure. I have been adding pictures of the movie w/the movie stub in my PL as well. One for the Money is on my list of movies I want to see.

    Also, I love the picture of your album on you couch! Very cool!

    Julie

    http://iamjuju.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We really enjoyed the movie. It was cute and we had a groupon to go see it that we just couldn't pass up. $12 for two movie tickets these days is something you don't see much anymore.

      Glad you liked the photo of the album on the couch. :) It was kind of hard photographing it. My apartment isn't very light friendly so I spent too much time trying to figure out where to place the album so my pictures wouldn't turn out all grainy and dark.

      Delete
  8. hi Christina, soooooo lov'in your PL, so glad l found your blog,l really love what you've done, all my children have grown up and either dont live at home or are never home, so its a bit hard to get shots of them, but hey life just is'nt about your kids, lm hoping one day my grandchildren (not that l have any yet )can look back at my albums and see how different our lives have been, even if it is only the little things like flowers and buildings and the price of petrol or what we ate, where we went, these are things that l have not been able to ask my grandmothers as they both died when l was young, so l would like mine to know the little things about me, l wish l had also done this before my children, l thought that when l started this that l would struggle to find things to take photos of , but l have amazed myself that there is pently and they dont invovle children, looking foward to seeing more of your pages

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there!..I am so glad I found you! For me I am new to Pl, single, no kids and my life is busy with 3 jobs, But I still have funny little things I do along the way and wanted a place to record them. for me PL is perfect, simple, easy, quick, and not expensive. I sometimes worry I won;t have anythng interesting but we are already into week 5 and my pages and brimming with all kinds of interesting things- keep in touch and good luck on you Pl - it really looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I love how easy and INEXPENSIVE it is. :) I've been making a lot of my own journaling cards and other embellishments with items I already have. I agree though --- how could you not have tons to record with 3 jobs! Goodness! :)

      Delete
  10. Wow, Christina - I love this! I actually like the plain cardboard; it's a nice way to offset the many photographs inside. This will be such a neat artifact to keep throughout your years of marriage together.

    Sometimes I find myself really drawn to photographs that seem to have been taken in the midst of everyday life -- not documenting anything monumental, but just those special little moments that may be forgotten otherwise.

    You're brave to make such a commitment, and I know you'll stick to it! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the everyday photos too. It definitely helps keep the camera in hand. :)

      Hmm, maybe I will keep it plain. I was thinking of just writing the year on the cover and leave it at that. We'll see!

      I'm so glad I started this project. It's been fun just looking back on the past few weeks. I really, really wish I did this during the year we were engaged and during our first year of marriage, but oh well. :)

      Delete

Say Hello!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips