27 February 2012

The Egg & I

I've been hit with barnheart. It's a fatal disease, you know. Sympoms include:
  •  reading every book on farming that I can get my hands on. 
  • Egg hatching and sheep shearing is the dinner conversation of choice.
  • searching every nook and cranny of the internet for local farms looking for volunteers who are eager to learn the ways of the land.


To help with the excruciating pain of barnheart, I've prescribed myself with a little container gardening now that Spring is slowly showing her lovely, wonderful face.

Rosemary, sage, chives and lavender grow on our apartment porch.

On Saturday, I planted annuals and spinach. In just a few days, I'll see sprouts.

This fatal disease hit me the other day when I realized I've never tasted a farm fresh egg before. Not once. I even had a friend in high school who had chickens. They produced such wonderful, beautiful eggs, but I never got a taste. 

And then I started thinking about that silly little dream that came to my 16-year-old-heart. I read an article about nuns who started a cheese farm. Yes, I know, I wasn't your average 16-year-old girl. I mean, can you tell me of any you know who gain inspiration from cheese making nuns? I wanted to live like those nuns. Just me, my four dairy cows (all named after famous queens), and cheese. Glorious cheese.

The dream has shifted slightly. I only want one dairy cow now, and a miniature one at that ( who really needs six gallons of milk a day??) 

So, it's settled. Matt will be infected soon. It's only a matter of time before your spouse catches what you have.

One day, we won't be pouring over books on homesteading and livestock diseases. We'll be pulling potatoes, dusted with the rich soil of the earth, straight out of the ground, making butter from the milk of our own dairy cow and hopefully training Emma to NOT eat the chickens.

One day.


4 comments:

  1. Wait, wait, wait. There are miniature dairy cows? I want one! I'll add it to my wishlist which includes bees and donkeys.

    Once you've got barnheart you never fully recover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! They are bred to be smaller and are popular for families who just want to have access to their own dairy. It's still PLENTY to feed a family of four, use it for baking, ect. There would probably be some left over to give away. They have ALL kinds of miniature cows. Even Scottish Highland cows...my personal favorite. :)

      You should read Made from Scratch by Jenna Woginrich. I may do a book review on it.

      Delete
    2. It's on my bookshelf! I really enjoyed it too.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, I hope you weren't infected as a small child when I would stop at the Sweet Home Farm in Elberta, Al. to buy homemade cheese on the way back from the outlet malls. Maybe the virus lay dormant? :)

    I remember watching a PBS documentary about nuns making cheese.

    ReplyDelete

Say Hello!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips