04 January 2011

Type it out: help me get out of this writing funk


Some of you know I’m working on a story. When I was working full time, it didn’t even go on the back burner. It went on the bottom shelf in the refrigerator, stuffed all the way in the back behind the leftovers.

I have a very heard time staying motivated with writing. I’ll get inspired for a few days and then it fades and a few months later, I say, “oh yeah, I was writing something!”

Although new years resolutions never work for me, I’m resolving to stay motivated with my writing.

Right now, I’m stuck. So let me ask you all a question:

Imagine you’re 10 years old again and everyone your age is developing a certain quality or skill…except you. Now, the whole world looks at you as if to say, “what’s wrong with you?” How would your 10-year-old self respond to this scenario?

Just looking for different personality types and perspectives.  If the scenario is too vague let me know and I’ll email you more details!

See more motivated blogs here.

5 comments:

  1. I'll help! My question is: is everyone else ACTIVELY developing a skill or as they are growing their skills are developing? Also, is your question how would my 10-year-old self act or what would she say to people...or both? This is fun!

    Jenn
    www.paulandjenn.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. let's just say, it comes naturally. No action required. No training, no studying, it just comes at a certain age.

    And as to how would your 10-year-old self act or say, it can be both or just one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I think I'm doing what my 10 year old self would want....I mean, I never pictured myself as an attorney, but writing was always a skill I loved and excelled doing.

    Thanks for stopping by! You have a new follower in me, and I hope you will join me in the next week's Motivation Monday meme! The link will be up for this week's Motivation Monday until Sunday so you can still participate, even if it's not technically on Monday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my ten-year-old self was inwardly insecure and outwardly she portrayed bold awkwardness. So, I think I would have relished my mother's constant compliments (you know how they do. it wasn't until college that I questioned every compliment she ever gave me), and violently defended any question of my "supposed" (read proclaimed-by-mother) skills, even if I knew the questioning party was right. I honestly don't think I was mature enough at ten to handle a situation like that any other way. I think I would live life confused for a while, seeking approval in everything I did (from hall monitor to kickball player) and being devastated when I didn't receive it. I also think it would be at this point that I developed my tendency to over-analyze (hyphen, no hyphen?), hoping in every encounter to find some hidden accolade, but finding instead my own negativity.

    Wow. That was cathartic. :)

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Say Hello!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips