03 January 2011

Meal Plan Monday - new budget, new approach

 Ok, now that the 9-5 work week gig is over, I can go back to planning nutritious and yummy meals. All on a budget of course.

A couple of nights ago, Matt worked on our entire budget...we got a little spend crazy during the holidays and now that I'm not bringing in as much as I was with the temp assignment, we had to re-do some calculations.

I've learned that when you budget your grocery expenses, it's good to plan out at the start of the week what you'll be eating and to take inventory of what you already have. I've made too many mistakes by scribbling down a recipe's ingredients without checking my cupboards and coming back to find that I've doubled some items.

So here's what we're having:
  • Monday: We went to Subway for lunch. $5 footlong special = 1/2 a sandwhich for lunch and 1/2 for dinner.
  • Tuesday: White Bean Chicken Chili - we had this at our friend's house a few weeks ago. So good! I'm hoping to make enough to get us through some lunches as well.
  • Wednesday: Free meal! We're eating with our small group. Since it's not our month to host, we get to be fed.
  • Thursday: Salad w/ shrimp
  • Friday: Leftover from Thursday
  • Saturday: Lemon Ginger Chicken Thighs and Cucumber/Pear Salad - a favorite recipe!
  • Sunday: Leftover from Saturday


Snacks: 
  • My food processor came with an amazing hummus recipe. I'll be making some of that this week along with toasting some pita bread. 
  • Clementines are in season and we're addicted to them. We can get a box of over 20 for $5.00.


Check out more menus at I'm an Organizing Junkie or add your own!

1 comment:

  1. That White Chicken Chili looks like a great recipe! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Say Hello!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips