20 August 2010

Favorite Recipe of the Week

As most of you know, I have been experimenting with new dishes and a weekly meal plan this week.  We had, I think, about the same number of successes as we did disasters. Some dishes were definitely not worth the hard work it took to make them and others were too good to be true. Matt and I had a tie for best dish of the week, so I'm posting the recipes to both.


Last Weekend we had Pork Chops Creole, which was definitely my favorite of the week. I served it along side German Potato Salad.

Pork Chops Creole
Ingredients
  •  4 Pork loin or rib chops, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick: this was tricky for us; the only pork loin available came in a pack of 10! We decided to buy it and have pork again next week. It was incredibly affordable!
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 4 thin onion slices
  • 4 green pepper rings
  • 4 tbsp uncooked instant rice
  • 1 can (8 oz) stewed tomatoes
Directions
In 10-inch skillet, brown chops over medium heat. Sprinkle salt and pepper on chops. Top each with 1 onion slice, 1 green pepper ring, 1 tbsp of rice and 1/4 cup of tomatoes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until done, about 45 minutes (add small amount of water if necessary - I spooned some of the tomato juice in from the stewed tomatoes).

Last night, we had oven fried chicken (Matt's favorite). I was skeptical...mostly because I've never oven fried anything in my life, but we inhaled that stuff like we weren't going to be eating for three more days. My mom laughed when I told her Betty Crocker makes me put shortening in EVERYTHING. She says, "Cooking with shortening was all the rage in the 70's." Boy, they sure knew how to live it up.
 
Oven Fried Chicken 
Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup shortening or salad oil I used shortening since Betty Crocker makes it an end-all, be-all necessity to have for other recipes
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • **1/2 tsp salt
  • **1/8 tsp paprika don't substitute this...I went back and forth because I know sometimes, people who hate spicy food, usually don't take kindly to paprika, and Matt definitely doesn't like spicy food.  The paprika is definitely what gives the chicken a unique taste and Matt loved it, but then again, I have been sneaking spices into his dishes to gradually get his spice intake on the same level as mine...oops!
  •  **1/8 tsp pepper (I don't know anyone who has an 1/8 tsp measuring tool...I just say eyeball it, good grief.
  • 1 1/2 lbs chicken pieces or 2 pound broiler-fryer chicken, cut into quarters. We had issues with meat portion here too. We both love drumsticks the most, but the only available package of chicken legs came in a huge pack (like the pork!!). It worked out great though. I cooked enough for us to each have two drumsticks for two nights.
Directions
Heat oven to 425 degrees. In oven melt shortening in baking pan, 9x9x2 inches or 11 3/4x7 1/2x1 1/2 inches -- Or whatever size you want for however much chicken you're making. Mix flour, salt, paprika and pepper in plastic or paper bag -- Betty C., they make Ziploc now...get with the program! Shake chicken, 2 or 3 pieces at a time, in bag until coated. Place chicken skin-side down in pan. Bake uncovered 30 minutes. Turn chicken; bake until tender, 15 to 20 minutes longer.

**I dashed in a little more paprika, salt and pepper than the recipe calls for and I'm glad I did!

Recipes from Betty Crocker's Dinner for Two Cookbook, spiral bound edition. I tried to do a quick search on where you can get...but I don't think you can anymore unless you buy a used copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Hello!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips